Thursday 26 November 2015

First editing session

Today was our first editing session since the shoot days. It was very interesting to watch back all the footage we had captured and think of some ideas of how it could be structured. I knew after watching the location footage that a lot of this would have to be cut. The song is only 3 minutes and we ensured that we had enough footage to fill the entire thing almost. It iis much better to get too much footage than not enough. The most obvious issue at first glance was the difference between the two shoots. Despite a meeting with the lighting and set designers the studio shoot still appeared much darker in appearance and this when placed next to the location footage in daylight appeared to be a massive juxtaposition. After watching all the footage I began the most tedious process of editing: syncing the clips. This video shows how I did this. I only synced the studio footage because I knew that I would differentiate the dance to its original timing to make it seem more impressive or fit slightly better. In order to make the syncing process easier and more precise we added 6 loud beats leading into the song. This was not only a cue for the performers but it also using the cameras mic allowed us to use the waveform of the loud beats to match up with the waveform of the song in editing (ofcourse this will be later edited out). 


I repeated this with all of my studio clips, until I had 40 layers on my timeline all with synced footage. After this, I played each one and noted both good shots which I definitely want to use at some point and shots that are useless and will not be used, I then deleted the useless footage. My plan for the next few editing sessions is to shape the studio section and fill the entire video with only studio as a base for me to place my dance section on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment