Monday 30 November 2015

Editing 2

After a few more editing sessions I finally have the studio section completed. I had to bare a few things in mind when doing this in order to make the editing of the studio suit the track and not look abnormal. My first priority was rhythmic editing, This is where the editing pace reflects the pace and beat of the track. The song begins slow, therefore I decided to only cut every 3-4 seconds on specific beats of the song. When cutting to the beat of the song the editing often flows better. I sometimes look at cutting to music as a person trying to clap in time to the beat, when cuts are late or in unexpected places it can feel like someone trying to stay in time but they have no rhythm and therefore can't, which is almost frustrating to watch. 

Despite this as the song progressed I made the decision to give the music video a more modern exciting twist. Cutting to the beat is the safe bet, but not always the 'best' bet in terms of telling the story. I began to look at the music as a whole, not just a beat. Where does it peak? Where is lull? What shots would suit those sections best? And as a result I added some cuts that didn't match the beats of the song, that could surprise the viewer and keep them engaged. The issue with this however is that some cuts may seem out of place. I made sure that I watched back the footage over and over with second opinions to see whether the cuts were interesting and not distracting. 

My next job will be to layer the narrative in my chosen places on top of the studio cut, this should be an easier edit as i have cut dance sequences before, and the movement will work in a sequence it is not random.




No comments:

Post a Comment